There are tens of thousands of algae strains – and growing. HY-TEK Bio’s unique strain of algae (HTB-1) is singular among thousands of strains of algae because it excels in numerous criteria, including wider ranges of tolerance for temperature, 100% CO2 levels, wide ranges of pH levels; fast reproduction rate; high market value; and being indigenous to the Chesapeake Bay.
HTB-1 was isolated (separated and uniquely identified) by the University of Maryland Center for Environmental Sciences Institute for Marine and Environmental Technologies (UMCES/IMET) through a Maryland Industrial Partnerships grant used to find the best strain of algae to work with the HY-TEK Bio technology, and to fine tune the algae and technology to work together at optimum performance.
About two-thirds of all algae are salt water strains.
Anticipated mechanical issues with valves and pumps associated with salt water ruled out those
strains. Dr. Feng Chen at UMCES/IMET, world renowned for his expertise in isolating algae down
to its DNA, identified thousands of freshwater strains from around the world and was the first to
isolate HTB-1, a naturally occurring strain native in Maryland waterways.
HTB-1 is not genetically modifiedand has been tested against six naturally occurring criteria:
1. CO2 Tolerance Rates - Most plants live in 3% to 7% CO2. Percentages outside that range inhibit growth, and plants go dormant or die. HTB-1 thrives in high concentrations of CO2 and flourishes in atmospheres as high as 100% CO2.
2. pH Tolerance -HTB-1 has a wide range of pH tolerance, surviving in both highly acidic solutions (such as flue gas) as well as highly basic solutions.
3. Temperature – HTB-1 is a robust algae that thrives in wide temperature variations, minimizing environmental control costs associated with closed bioreactors. HTB-1 performs at temperatures ranging from 60F degrees to 110F degrees, allowing for a wide range for operations.
4. Rate of Reproduction - Most naturally growing algae will double in mass every three to four days; HTB-1 doubles in nature every 22 hours. The HY-TEK Bio process optimizes photosynthesis and algal growth in our bioreactors, which doubles HTB-1 mass every 12 hours. Faster growth translates to more CO2 consumed in a given space.
5. Market By-product Value – Algal (lipid) oil is used to make a variety of useful products, including Omega-3 neutraceuticals, soaps, soy milk thickeners, lubricants, carbohydrates and proteins for the production of food supplements, and thousands of other products. HTB-1 naturally contains about 33% algal oil (by weight), which is double the oil typically produced by other strains. When stressed in the HY-TEK Bio controlled environment, lipid content increases to almost 50%.
In addition to lipid oil, HTB-1 is high in Lutein/Zeaxanthin, vitamin compounds used in eye surgery. Most algae is 0.01% Lutein/Zeaxanthin by weight, compared to HTB-1 at 0.04% by weight (40 times greater), fostered by high powered LED lights.
Coal Flue Gas -12-13%
Oil - 9%
Natural Gas - 6%
Methane - > 40%.
Type your paragraph here.
Copyright © HY-TEK Bio LLC | All Rights Reserved
6502 Micro Drive, Dayton, MD 21036, USA 410.262.5113 email@example.com